Thursday, November 11, 2010

it's V Day!




no, not Valentines... Veterans!






I'd thank my lucky stars,
to be living here today.
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can't take that away.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA!



The ChicGirls want to say 
THANK YOU
to all of the brave men & women who fight for our freedom!
If it wasn't for these true-life heroes and heroines,
we here at Chic wouldn't be able to do what we love!


A little background on Veterans Day...
Did you know that it was formerly known as Armistice Day, 
which was the U.S. holiday to honor the end of World War I.
(it marked the one year anniversary of the end of World War I)
Armistice began at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

But after both World War II and the Korean War, 
Congress was urged by various veterans service organizations to change the name of the day to 
‘Veterans Day.’ 
But in 1968, 
a bill was introduced in Congress to ensure a three-day weekends for federal employees
by celebrating four national holidays on Mondays: 
Washington’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and Columbus Day. 
Under this bill, Veterans Day was moved to the last Monday of October.
BUT many states did not like this
So many states ignored the decree and continued to celebrate the holiday on their own dates,
thus creating great confusion and turmoil. 
Finally, on September 20, 1975, President Gerald R. Ford stepped in and signed a law which returned Veterans Day to its original date of Nov. 11 and there it has stayed ever since!
Here's a list of places showing LOVE to our Veterans today...
http://www.stripes.com/blogs/stripes-central/stripes-central-1.8040/list-of-freebies-available-on-veterans-day-1.124756

theChicGirls

No comments:

Post a Comment